For those seeking a fellowship programme abroad or research opportunities in Japan, there is a marvelous and brilliant opportunity waiting for them to grab. A joint project of the United Nations University and Japan Society for the Promotion of Science is out there for them. Postdoctoral fellowships with funding options are offered by them and available for applications. This is undoubtedly a big opportunity for researchers (scholars). If that interests you, you may then learn all the details about the JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2024 ahead in this article.
Information about JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2024
United Nations University (UNU) offers Postdoctoral Fellowships to provide young policymakers and scholars, especially from developing countries (developing world) with a multidisciplinary context within which to pursue advanced research and training that happens to be a professional interest to the successful applicant and of direct relevance to the research agenda of their chosen thematic programme. This is going to be among the best postdoctoral opportunities available now to apply for.
Details about the Postdoctoral Fellowships
It is a joint venture organized by the United Nations University (UNU) and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSP) that has been designed to provide highly qualified and promising young researchers with the opportunity to administer (conduct) advanced research in sustainability under research institutions across Japan and host researchers at domestic universities in cooperation with UNU-IAS.
This postdoctoral fellowship is aimed at those applicants/scholars who have obtained their doctorates in the past 6 years (with the period of paternity/maternity leave subtracted) and have professional and/or research experience.
For the JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme, UNU-IAS Tokyo acts as the nominating authority. Nominated fellows will be taken into consideration as members of their host institutions and they will be required to carry out their research under their host researcher’s supervision. It is possible to carry out (conduct) their research at UNU-IAS if it is agreed upon mutually by the host university.
It is worth noting that the fellowships are offered for 2 years (24 months) in full-month units commencing from the date of initiation. Fellows have to begin their fellowship in Japan by 30th November 2024 and live in Japan continuously throughout the fellowship.
Successful candidates will be contacted in April 2024 by UNU and the candidates have to submit an official application to JSPS through UNU-IAS.
Research Areas Under JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2024
Under the supervision of the host supervisor, fellows will be expected to carry out research in one of the thematic areas listed below under the host researcher’s supervision.
- Biodiversity & Society (BDS)
- Governance for Sustainable Development (GSD)
- Innovation & Education (IVE)
- Water & Resource Management (WRM)
Eligibility Criteria for Postdoctoral Fellowships
Let’s check out the eligibility requirements for these postdoctoral fellowships.
- Candidates, who like to apply, have to possess a doctoral degree at the time of application (obtained on or after 2nd of April 2018 with the period of paternity/maternity leave subtracted, counting four weeks as a month) or be scheduled to receive their doctoral degree before the postdoctoral fellowship starts.
- They have to be citizens of countries having diplomatic relations with Japan (Taiwanese and Palestinian researchers are eligible to apply).
- Nationals of Japan (including the holders of dual citizenship) and permanent residents of Japan are not entitled to apply (not eligible to apply). Those candidates who have earlier (previously) been offered/awarded a standard or pathway fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research in Japan are also not entitled to apply (not eligible).
Financial Coverage for JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme
Chosen candidates will be provided with the below mentioned coverage. Let’s find it out.
- Maintenance allowance: JPY 362,000 per month
- Airfare: a round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
- Miscellaneous: a settling-in allowance of JPY 200,000 and overseas travel insurance
Note: The award amounts are subject to change by JSPS. If a fellow is living in Japan already or obtains resident status before the fellowship is slated (scheduled) to start, a settling-in allowance and the air ticket to Japan will then not be provided.
As far as the research grant (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research) is concerned, it is available to cover cooperative research-relevant expenditures. Applications for these grants are made by the host researcher via (through) the host institution.
Deadline for Applications Submission
If you are interested in applying, the deadline for application submission is 10th March 2024.
How to Apply for JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2024
Eligible and interested candidates are welcome to apply for this fellowship programme. They can fill out the Application Form. The form needs to be filled out in English. For more details, the accuracy of the information, and updates, you may visit the official call.
Follow Us on Social Media for More Scholarship Opportunities
Connect us on social platforms to get more regular scholarship opportunities emerging from the world universities, colleges and institutions.
Also, connect us to get our regular activity on Linkedin.
You May Like These Opportunities Also: